Wednesday 23 June 2010

Failure with OS OpenSpace

After a month or more of trying to sort out, how to put a OS OpenSpace map of the route featured in the  post below, in to that post, I have now given up.

I have struggled with books and the dreaded Web Map Builder Tutorial (download from the OS forum) and got nowhere.

While on holiday in the States my nephew who is employed by a company to develop 'things' using the languages and methods employed by Blogger and the OS, who apparently do not necessarily use the same or similar dialects of a list of languages that are mixed together to produce websites, blogs and web based programs, spent several hours over three days looking at 'the problem' and could not get the map I had plotted in OpenSpace to appear and work consistently.
His comment on the quality of code produced by OS OpenSpace and the tutorial is, after 'out of date', unprintable. His final advice was to get a website and create links to it for each post. Bugger. I just wanted to display a simple map.

In fact while OpenSpace may be able to do lots of things for many users it is just too much, even at its simplest, for others. A map and a route line would be fine, no zoom, no scroll around half of England in a matchbox size window half obliterated by a zoomy-pan thing and a copyright notice. No showing on one computer but not another.

If I do go down the route of using a website I may think a bit differently, I'm just so disappointed with the experience to date. In the meantime I am having to rethink how I show the routes on this site, I do not want a long screed of 'turn here', 'cross there' etc. its boring to write and read.

Rant over

No comments:

Post a Comment