Tuesday 2 November 2010

Langstone Habour Farlington to Emsworth

Date: 30 October 2010
Area: Farlington to Emsworth, Hampshire
Distance: 9 Miles 14.5 k
Start Location: Farlington Marshes Car Park
OS Sheet: Explorer 119 and 120
Grid Ref: SU 6755 0429
Outline: Farlington Marshes, Havant, Langstone, Warblington, Emsworth








Route
These notes are provided to enable the walk to be plotted on a 1 : 25,000 map. They are not walking instructions.
I left my mother in laws house in Farlington, walked down the Eastern Road, past Sainsbury's and the Hilton, then under the M27 to the start of the walk in the Farlington Marshes Car Park overlooking Langstone Harbour.
From here head east along the sea wall around Farlington Marshes, into the Hermitage River and under a road bridge where you turn sharp left up the bank to join the road above, head east. After about 400 metres take a path on the right following a small stream south towards the sea, head east and cross the footbridge into Langstone.
Continue to follow the sea wall east, then cross the field to Warblington Church. Take Church Path across the fields until the sea wall and beach leads you around to the huge Mill Pond from there, there are various routes open to you to explore Emsworth.
Journey
As we were in Portsmouth to see my mother in law I was looking for a walk to do while Mrs O-n-G spent some time with her mother. Looking at the maps this walk seemed to link together a number of places from my childhood and later when working in Havant and offered the choice of bus or train for getting back to Farlngton/Cosham.
The day started off with a lovely big blue sky and a warmish breeze, the tide was out leaving the harbour a flat, grey and green desert with the sea a glimmer in the far distance. Luckily, the cool weather meant the never to be forgotten smell of rotting sea weed was thankfully missing.

The walk was largely flat and generally followed the sea wall. Several long distance walks cover the same ground, the Langstone Habour Waterside Walk seemed to predominate, I also spotted signs for the Wayfarers Way and the Solent Way.
As I walked around Farlington Marshes the twitchers were out by the by the score, some with camera lenses on tripods  looking like anti-tank rocket launchers, or camouflaged heavy machine guns, just right for sorted the geese out. Although the way the twitchers blocked the path it was them that needed sorting.


  

Some of the walk is quite close to the M27 and to the south of Havant through an industrial estate, past a sewage treatment plant and a sand and gravel quay. It added interest and makes one appreciate the wilder countryside.
In Langstone I got to walk along a track that had once been the railway line for the Puffing Billy, a steam train that ran from Havant to the sea front at Hayling, the highlight of the 50’s for me.

Crossing the road into old Langstone I had a look in the Ship Inn and around the corner the Royal Oak both well visited in the 70’s  I wanted to see if they had changed much but I couldn’t tell, it was like I was seeing them for the first time.
The old cottages, the mill and mill pond didn’t appear to have changed much. The mill was one of a large number along this coast that were built in the late seventeen hundreds to grind grain and gun powder to be shipped to Spain and Portugal for the Armies fighting in the Peninsular War. 

While looking at the maps I was intrigued by a right of way shown on both 50,000 and 25,000 maps as crossing the harbour from Langstone to Hayling, to the east of the present bridge. I did a bit of searching on the internet and found out that it’s the route of an early medieval track way, see link below. Needless to say I couldn’t spot it.
Warblington Church is well worth a visit it is unusual and picturesque and it is one of those places that makes you feel the past is not so far away.


Unfortunately, Emsworth disappeared in a prolonged shower of cold rain and as I reached the town center my bus pulled up so in seconds I was on my way back to find out how Forest got on against Pompey.
This was an interesting and enjoyable walk with plenty to see and I’d rate it as a good walk albeit very different from the quiet, more rolling countryside I am used to. Perhaps next time I’m down I’ll catch a bus to Emsworth and have at look around and see what I missed this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment