Friday 17 August 2012

Croxton Kerrial, Branston, Knipton and Harston


Date: 2012-08-15
From: Croxton Kerrial
Region: Leicestershire, South of Grantham
Walk :  Circular
OS Sheet: Explorer 247
Start Grid: SK 835 291
Distance: 10.8 ml, 17.3 km 
Height Gain: 1025 ft, 312 m
Height Lost: 1014 ft, 309 m
Notes:  The first part of the walk is along farm tracks and through woodland. The later part is on roads with a few fields at the end. Two stiles.

Route
These notes are provided to enable the walk to be plotted on a 1:25,000 map.
From the A607 take the Knipton Road (Middle Street), before the church turn left onto road/track towards Branston on reaching the road turn left to T junction, turn right. At bend in road turn left on to track marked Jubilee Way, keep left to join road above Sherricliffe Farm, turn left then right on to Toft’s Lane (track).  Follow Jubilee Way through woodland to Reeded Cottage, turn right to road to Knipton, through village to Knipton Lodge and Harston. Turn right into Croxton Lane, at the sharp bend either take footpath by Harston Wood to Croxton, or continue along the lane to T junction, turn left to Croxton

Journey
The number 8 bus was packed, it was Market Day in Melton Mowbray, as more passengers got on, I and two other over 60’s had to offer up our seats to even older passengers. Thankfully, the bus was almost empty after Melton.

Croxton Kerrial
The day was nearly perfect for walking and I was doing so through my favourite landscape, rolling hills and valleys, big open fields rich with crops, long hedgerows, scattered woodland and long winding tracks leading to unspoilt villages and hamlets with some history to them.

Branston
The Wheel Inn, Branston
Branston is one of these, it was a delight, small but with farms, cottages, a pub and church all built out of the local rich butterscotch coloured sandstone. The village is largely part of the Belvoir Estate. I noticed that the church is dedicated to St Guthlac in Framland, which intrigued me.  From Wikipedia I found that St Guthlac was around between 673 and 714, and Framland is recorded in the Domesday Book as one of Leicestershire's four Wapentakes.

Harvest


Even though it is only August the harvest had harvest and the sound of tractors and harvesters was almost constant, distant but discernible, as was the dust cloud they generated.  Where a field was being ploughed, hundreds of birds were perched on the surrounding trees, hedges and telephone wires, then judging the moment swooping down to grab anything edible turned over by the plough.


Hay Bales
I pleased to get into the woodland at the end of Toft’s Lane and get a chance to cool down a bit, having checked I was heading in the right direction I slowed down and enjoyed the shade. As a result I was totally unprepared for the sight that was before me as the track swung right. I was on the edge of a steep downward slope some 150 high and spread out in front of me was pretty much the whole of Nottinghamshire and a big chunk of Lincolnshire. I was stunned, gobsmacked, speechless, flabbergasted. I have seen some surprise views in the past, the one above Ashness Bridge and at Orrest Head in the Lakes spring to mind along with others, all certainly more majestic than this, but nothing this big. 

See for miles

A little later I met two guys who had walked up from north of the escarpment and we reckoned that we could see about 40 miles over what was essentially the Trent Valley. We also watched a buzzard enter a thermal, spiralling up until it was no more than a dot, absolutely thrilling to see.

Jubilee Way, Belvoir
Fire wood?
Having left the woodland near High Leys the walk went downhill literally and mentally, as from here I was walking on tarmac. The countryside was just as beautiful and interesting but the heat and the road took its toll. I accept having to walk on roads to join sections of path or track together but when I planned this walk I was stuffed I could find no off road route back to the bus stop so I just had to plod it, out stopping off at the Manners Arms for a pint of larger, so it wasn't all bad.

House near Halston
On the bright side the walk was over 10 miles long and I enjoyed the greater part of it, had a pint and didn't miss the bus home. If you are that way inclined I reckon this entire route can be done on a bike, which is a first for Journeys on Foot, please check this is indeed correct before you try it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mike, I did this walk today, back-to-front, and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete