Sunday 6 March 2011

Outdoors Show NEC

I’ve been trying to write this and get it posted all week but things just keep getting in the way, so this has been written after three four attempts.


On Saturday 26 March,  the Missus, Andy, his mate Steve and I went down to the NEC to visit the Outdoor Leisure Show with Caravans, Campervans, and Boats. Having made numerous visits to the old Outdoors show at the NEC, now at Excel in London, this one was a pleasant change it was spread over 5 halls and as a result it was far less of a scrum, the good wide walkways between the stands provided the space and the freedom to move around, to see things, to talk to guys and girls on the stands and to other punters.

We spent a fair chunk of time looking at the caravans, mainly two berth as I am getting close to retirement and we want to get a touring caravan at some time before then. We were mainly looking at layouts and standard equipment, all of which were far better than I remember from our last four berth one over twenty years ago.

We also looked at the camper vans (Motor Homes) which although very impressive our plan remains to go with a caravan. It will probably be a 13 or 15 foot van with an end toilet/shower, a hob,cooker, fridge, microwave and heating.

We both bought some kit Mrs G got herself a Paramo Velez Adventure Light for £60 below list, while I got a Paramo Explorer shirt about £20 below list which was pretty good. Keela also had a stand and I  got a pair of Keela Peru trousers for £30. I have worn their Peru and Paraguay trousers for about eight years now, they are very hard wearing and comfortable being quite stretchy, these new ones are a different material but look and feel just as good. Also saw their new Scuffer HW trousers which looked like good winter trousers, well for here in the Midlands anyway, up north you’ll have to make you own minds up. However, I will continue to use my Montane terra pants through the warmer months, those side zips are super for cooling.

I also bought some fancy British wool (merino?) socks, but I lost the wrapper I haven't a bloody clue what they were made from or how to get some more. They are nice and warm and cushioning, a bit like my Smartwool ones but a little coarser.!


Although we did a little local walk today, 6 miles, we are hoping to get out for a proper walk next weekend but as Forest is at home again that does seem a bit unlikely, we’ll see.


In the meantime heres some pictures Andy and I took on the Westmoreland Way in 2009.




No comments:

Post a Comment